Friday, May 3, 2013

What a Week!

I just returned from the closing ceremony of The Fuller Legacy Build here in Atlantic City where I had time to reflect on all that has happened this week. This was a truly inspiring experience. The fellowship amongst our team was something to treasure. Working with our house captains, Tim and Charlie, two genuine, caring, and funny guys, was one of the major highlights of the week. When you learn that these two have traveled the world as volunteers to build decent housing for those in need, life takes on a new perspective.

The most moving part of the week came at this afternoon's dedication ceremony when we passed on a bible and quilt to our homeowner, Louise. Her gratitude for what we had done to begin the restoration process on her family home that goes back three generations had me and the rest of the team in tears. I've been in human services for a long time but seldom has anyone ever told me with such heartfelt affection that we had made them "the happiest homeowner in Atlantic City".

This week has taught me the importance of doing for others simply because that's the right thing to do. None of us were here because we had to be; we were here because we wanted to help those experiencing such terrible losses after a devastating natural disaster. I'm so glad I had the ability and opportunity to make a difference in the life of someone we all became very fond of in a short period of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment